I am the ward choir director and it was my responsibility to prepare three numbers for the program. My calling is challenging because it is completely reliant on volunteers to have any measure of success. We certainly have the talent, however the support varies from week to week. I wasn't sure we could pull this one off, but it happened (as it always seems to) that when I do everything within my power to motivate attendance and rehearse the music, miracles happen or the angel choir shows up and it's magnificent.
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Palm Sunday
What a beautiful and enjoyable day. The sun was shining and the temperature was pleasant. William is in San Francisco for a few more days, but I was blessed to have his parents come to help me in the morning and attend church with us. Because of General Conference next weekend over Easter Sunday, we had our Easter Sacrament Meeting program today.
I am the ward choir director and it was my responsibility to prepare three numbers for the program. My calling is challenging because it is completely reliant on volunteers to have any measure of success. We certainly have the talent, however the support varies from week to week. I wasn't sure we could pull this one off, but it happened (as it always seems to) that when I do everything within my power to motivate attendance and rehearse the music, miracles happen or the angel choir shows up and it's magnificent.
The choir sang two numbers: "God So Loved the World" and "Jesu the Very Thought is Sweet" They are both more difficult pieces that sounded fantastic. We did the first a'capella and the second with the organ and a flute. The result was very moving and we received many compliments. I was relieved and grateful when it was over.
The third number I provided was "He is Risen" a SSA trio arranged by a very talented woman in the ward, Annette Coombs. I sang with my dear friend Carol Thomas and my fabulous sister, Diana. It was fun because not only do we sound great together, but we have a riot practicing. I love it when I can sing with sisters and friends!
Later in the afternoon, we ventured over to my parents house for dinner and an Easter egg hunt. The Brady's (who are as close as it gets to being family without be family) joined us. They have sold their home and will be moving an hour away in a few months and we wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to get together before the craziness of moving hits them. My mom is super festive when it comes to holidays, so she put together an egg hunt in the back yard for the kids. Everyone played well together and completely wore themselves out.
This is Melissa Sherwood Brady, daughter of my Mother's deceased best friend, Nancy. I consider her a sister and love her just as much as if she were blood related. We have always been told we look like sisters and I must agree. I take it as a compliment, too! This past month, her father, Jack, sold his and Nancy's home and Melissa had the primary responsibility of going through everything and packing it all up or giving it away. It was an emotional journey for all of us who helped, but especially for Melissa. Nancy died three years ago, but cleaning out her life made her being gone seem terribly final. I wasn't ready for Melissa to announce that during the process of cleaning out her parents house the Brady's had sold their home too and would also be moving away. It definitely marks a new chapter for the Halford and Sherwood families. It's all bitter sweet. Our families have been connected and virtual neighbors for over 50 years. Distance will influence the frequency of getting together and change the dynamics for sure. I'm glad we still have the eternities to continue the friendships!
I am the ward choir director and it was my responsibility to prepare three numbers for the program. My calling is challenging because it is completely reliant on volunteers to have any measure of success. We certainly have the talent, however the support varies from week to week. I wasn't sure we could pull this one off, but it happened (as it always seems to) that when I do everything within my power to motivate attendance and rehearse the music, miracles happen or the angel choir shows up and it's magnificent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am the ward choir director too! It's funny, the ward music chairperson told me I really didn't need to make brownies/treats for every practice,and I just smiled because really, I know that's a major part of the reason people show up for practice ;o)it's worth it to me. I didn't get to do Easter music this year because of stake/general conference, fast sunday, and a missionary farewell. I was looking forward to it, but we'll do something related in May. We'll have to swap choir music sometime!
Post a Comment