Monday, February 2, 2009

Grandpa Ed's Funeral

Nov. 8th, Grandpa surprised us all when he died before our ailing Grandma. He was in a care center recuperating from a bowel obstruction. His children visited him in the morning and left to grab some lunch while the staff bathed him. They returned and he was gone. He'd been cleaned up and laid down for a nap. What a peaceful way to die...in your sleep.

Grandpa Ed's headstone. He was always Grandpa Ed. When he married my grandmother, all of my siblings were very young and "Arrington" was way to hard to say. The name stuck for the next 28 years. Grandma was also affectionately called Grandma Ed.

Grandpa was a veteran and therefore had a beautiful flag draped over his coffin. It certainly stirs your soul to see the flag and watch as it is folded and presented to a member of the family. Thanks for your service to this great country, Grandpa!

Grandpa had a love affair with Scotland and a bigger love affair with bagpipes. It was only fitting that a piper play while last respects were paid. The graveside service actually reminded me of President Hinckley's because of the bagpipes. They added such a wonderful touch. I've decided I want them played at my funeral too!

This is Kelly Gee, Grandpa Ed's pure pride and joy. Ed was as much a father as a Grandfather to Kelly. We are close in age and while we're lost touch over the years, I have fond memories of his when we were younger. We have long joked that we were the favorite grandchildren to each of our grandparents. I'm sure it's true...




1 comment:

kristenhcubed said...

Hey, I specifically asked to see a picture of the flowers we got for Grandpa! Where are they?