Monday, February 2, 2009
Valley of Fire State Park
While in Mesquite over the Christmas holidays, we decided to visit some of the state and national parks nearby. Our first trip took us the the Valley of Fire state park in Nevada. This took us through a booming metropolis where we stopped at the only diner in the whole city. It was packed for two reasons: 1) it was the only option for a meal out on the town, and 2) the ice cream they sell. Blue Bell. (Kellyanne eat your heart out!)
This is a picture of a wonderfully disgusting banana split. I don't believe I've ever had a "real" banana split from a old fashioned ice cream parlor before. I may never again either. I was only able to eat maybe a third of it and left feeling like a wasteful stuffed pig that needed to be rolled back to the car. Good thing we were headed for a hike...
This is the Valley of Fire, aptly named for the color of the formations. I have to admit, I LOVE REDROCK! Some of my favorite places on earth are carved out of redrock. There's something about its contrasting beauty set against a blue sky and green shrubbery. Wow! We had a good time hiking around and snapping photos. Here are a few of our favorites...
We call this Swiss cheese rock for obvious reasons. This was our third attempt at using the timer on the camera and getting everyone in place. Thanks for the effort William. This is a keeper!
I personally liked Dasha's hiking gear. She is such a girly girl. She pitched a fit earlier that morning when I asked her to wear pants that day to protect her legs. My reasons for being such a cruel mom were validated when she later slipped and fell, scraping both her lovely legs and knees. We both hate it when I'm right. She didn't argue over pants at all when we headed for Zions park later in the week.
This is an old fort. There were three of them. Dasha thought it would be fun to stay there for a few days, so we planned out where we'd put things to make it comfortable and did a little make believe. Soon after, the kids were exhausted and no longer fun, so we piled back in the car and drove the rest the way through the park. The kids slept like rocks, the car was quiet and a good time was had by all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are right. There is just something about those red rocks...
Post a Comment